What To Bring On Your Fishing Charter

Charter Fishing Necessities

To adequately prepare you for your fishing charter and ensure you have what is needed to make your trip a pleasurable experience we have prepared a list of essential items to review prior to your trip.

  • Soft Soled Shoes (Work boots scuff boat decks and are slippery)
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen - No spray on sunscreen as it stains the seating.
  • Camera
  • Hat or Cap
  • Rain Gear
  • Appropriate layered clothing for the conditions
  • Large cooler to take home your catch. You can leave this cooler in your car until after the trip and then put the cleaned bagged fish in after your trip.
  • Cooler to bring on the boat with any food or drink that you would like. Please do NOT bring bottles as they may break on the boat.

Motion Sickness Prevention

A major concern among Lake Michigan fishermen, especially the first-time angler, is motion sickness.

  • Make sure to take this early enough so that it works for you.
  • To help reduce, or in many cases, eliminate seasickness, get a good night’s sleep and eat a solid breakfast.
  • There are also a number of over the counter remedies available such as Dramamine or Bonine.
  • Ask your doctor or pharmacist about what is right for you and be sure to follow the directions.
  • Be sure that when taking Dramamine or Bonine that you take it in advance of your trip so it can get into your system and start to work.
  • Do not wait until your on the boat or begin to feel motion sick to take your remedy...once you start to feel the affects of motion sickness it is too late.


Wisconsin Fishing licenses

Wisconsin Fishing License that includes a Great Lakes Trout/Salmon Stamp. Please get this before you arrive at the marina. Available online at Wisconsin DNR below. You can also get your license at any Fishing Stores, K-mart, and Wal-Mart etc.

  • If you already have a Wisconsin Fishing License ensure that you have the Great Lake Salmon / Trout Stamp.
  • If you dont have the stamp the cost is $10 to purchase it online for both residents and non-residents or at a store like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Walmart, Farm and Fleet or a Wisconsin bait shop.
  • Those of you who are coming from out-of-state or do not have a resident Wisconsin fishing license and will be fishing for two days or less the license to purchase is the Great Lake Fishing, 2 day (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp) for non-residents or the 2-Day Great Lakes Fishing (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp) license which are $14 (same cost for both residents and non-residents). These cover all your charter fishing needs.
  • Be sure to select the correct link relating to your Wisconsin Residential status to the right for the Wisconsin DNR site